I watched last night as the news reports highlighted the Apple Fanatics camped outside the retail outlets waiting for their forthcoming chance to obtain the new device. I was worried. Why? Would I get there at 9:30 AM or 10:00 AM to find my reservation was for naught, like the infamous Jerry Seinfeld episode where Seinfeld reserves a car, but they don't have it and he starts to lecture the counter person on the meaning of a reservation.
I thought to myself - should I go down and sit with these people and commune? Then I figured - what will be, will be. Apple said they would have my reservation and I believed them. I would show up when I could the next morning.
I did make it out at 10:30 and found that there were two lines - a very long one and a very short one - I prayed I was in the short one and as luck would have it, my reservation did pay off! I was in the short line and after a brief 10 minute wait (unlike some of the people who would have to wait hours to get in), I was face to face with my prize. I knew exactly what I wanted:
- 32 GB iPad WiFi (3G isn't out for another 3-4 weeks and I didn't want another AT&T charge)
- Apple Dock/Keyboard combo unit
- Cover for my iPad
I was greeted by the Apple Representative and he (to be nameless) was very courteous and welcoming and we talked for a bit about the iPad. He didn't try to push extra's or accessories. I was direct and laid out what I wanted (in terms of the accessories) and he gathered them all up. While he gathered, Andrew (my son) and I went to go play on the iPad's - my first touch! AMAZING. My first impression was staggering. The one thing I could not get over was the intense speed of the device - how fast it flipped and did things. I was eager to see the PHOTOS applet and before I knew it I was pinching and zooming my way to photo nirvana.
Our Apple Rep came back with items in hand and we quickly rang up my purchase. He saw my e-mail address (firstname.lastname@example.org) and we discussed Apple Computers. I have been using Apple since 1988 when I obtained a Mac SE for my own personal usage (from my Aunt who worked at Apple).
He offered to register the device right there in the store and handed the device for the unboxing - that is part of the beauty of Apple - they want us, the consumer, to have the best experience possible. It is in their best interest to keep us coming back for more.
After a short registration period - I was gone and walking with Andrew through the mall back to the car to quickly get the iPad home so I could really take it for a spin. Once I was at home, I loaded it up with my accounts, my apps, music, some videos and photographs from my iPhoto.
But this isn't a totally glowing review or write-up of my iPad. I truly do believe it is an awesome device - but I have a few issues with it:
- Upon connecting to my iTunes 9.1 app on my brand new 21" iMac, it takes a good 4 minutes before anything is responsive? I hope this is a minor issue and they fix it - it doesn't seem like it should take this long
- My other issue is with the iPad developers - If I paid $15.00 for an application 1 month ago - I would hope that if you developed an iPad version that it would be free or become a universal application - this is an EPIC FAILURE by MLB (Major League Baseball) who not only charged $15.00 for the iPhone version, and recently released their iPad version and low and behold - they want another $15.00 for that version... Bugger Off
- The case isn't as functional as I want it to be - it feels plastic like so I think I will invest in something more worthwhile like a leather carrier or something
Overall - a great device and I look forward to running it through its paces, both personally and professionally.
Have a great Easter everyone!